The SpinTest©™ Control System is built specifically to meet the needs of testing in the production environment
SpinTest©™ is designed to operate in two modes:
- Production Hot Test
- Quality Audit Test
In either mode it will enable you to maximise productivity whilst giving assurance that your quality is being tested to the highest level. Operator interfacing is reduced to a minimum; test data and quality reports are produced automatically.
In either mode a dynamometer can be used to load and measure the engines under test.
The system is equally at home in executing a 2 minute unloaded hot test cycle or 600 hour full durability test.
The system tool kit will allow you to configure instruments, engine types, operator log on, shift patterns, test sequence development, data logging, etc.
At switch on, the system will boot directly to the SpinTest application for the operator to enter a personal code before commencing. The basic operator logon will only allow access to engine testing screens; the maintenance functions require higher access – all definable by you.
The control system is designed and built on standard hardware and software platforms using many components that will be common to systems elsewhere, giving you the option to expand or procure spares without being restricted to a single source supplier.
PC Connections and Their Functions
The Graphical Human Interface provides high resolution displays for the test cell operator displaying engine data, digital and analogue gauges, error messages, and test progress and production information.
The system will guide the operator through the test process with on screen instructions and prompts to ensure compliance. Safety and security has a high profile to protect the operator and the quality of the product.
These show the test process and results including:
- Engine Test Results log
- Channel Calibration
- Engine Fault Codes and Repairs or Adjustments
Entered via electronic tag, bar code or manually from engine label, the test results associated to each engine are logged and stored
Function Mode Selection
The user, subject to password authority, will be able to select the test running mode in automatic, or step-by-step in manual.
In auto mode, the test will run along the profile previously defined in the database and associated to the engine variant. This mode will be executed without any interruption, except in the event of an alarm.
After engine dressing, and by pressing a pushbutton, the operator will instigate engine prime.
The test control system will progress along the profile definition, controlling the engine speed as defined in the database and recording the measured parameters.
During the test, the operator will have a main instrument screen where the engine parameters, test progress and associated messages and warnings will be displayed in real time.
- Errors logged during the test cycle and measured by the test bed instrumentation
- Manual errors observed and reported by the operator
All can be recorded in the data base results.
Ending the Test
At the end of the profile, manual or auto, on the completion of the last step, the test control system will stop the engine.
It will proceed to the blow down operation to remove water from the engine.
All the test data and events will be recorded at the database.
CONTROLS AND INSTRUMENTATION
- Test bed computer control system is included with the system. It provides manual or fully automatic control of the test bed
- PID control of dynamometer and throttle
- Control of ancillary equipment
- Manual control panel
- Automatic test sequencer
- Four levels of alarm annunciation
- Numerical and graphical displays
The PC system is used as follows:
- User Interface via standard keyboard and monitor
- Supervisor and Maintenance Engineer Interface via standard keyboard, mouse and monitor
- PLC communication interface
The PLC system is used as follows:
- Control of Test Bed and Test Bed services
- Interface of Engine Control Modules for type and calibration selection
- Test schedule control and maintenance via PC interface
- Pass/Fail assessment of engine with test results
- Alarm and shutdown monitoring and action
- Engine fault code selection and review
- Hardwired pushbutton interface for inspector operation
- Plant and safety interlocks for Engine and Test Bed protection
- Supervisors will use the PC keyboard for operator entry of text and numeric data on toolbox and calibration screens
- Maintenance Staff will use the PC keyboard for operator entry of text and numeric data on calibration screens